Monday, March 19, 2007

Why I'm Still Standing


Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug. That's not original but it fits. At the moment I have bug status. I know it's temporary but it still sucks. I had my routine CT scan Thursday morning and my routine checkup with Dr. Suen Thursday afternoon. My weight's up, my blood pressure is good, and I'm on the verge of being cocky when Dr. Suen goes to look at the scan. I resume my crossword puzzle and wait....and wait....and wait. UH-OH, he's been gone too long and that's not a good thing. He and I have danced this dance so often I know what's coming. He's seen something he doesn't like.

When he re-enters the room Dr. Suen glides to the stool in front of my chair and lands gracefully, reaching with one hand to feel the front of my neck. I think of the way the Canadian geese fly down and settle on the lake in one fluid motion, feet first. There are two little tumors on the cartilage of my larynx and one tiny one below my right ear. They'll be easy to remove and we need to do it right away. It's not so much a sense of urgency as it is a need to perform a task. That's why I see him so often, to stay on top of these pesky, relentless tumors. Otherwise, they take on a life of their own and I've had all of that I want.

So tomorrow afternoon my oldest brother, Gary, will drive me to the hospital and play the waiting game while I juice up on the "good drugs." But, tonight I'll stay up late, drinking water and eating chocolate, because it might be awhile before I can do either.

No comments: