Friday, March 2, 2007

Time Heals

What a difference a year makes! This time last year I was miserable. I couldn't swallow, my left vocal chord was paralyzed, I was commuting 40 miles one way to work every day, and going to speech therapy in Little Rock a couple times a week. WHEW!

But look at me now! It all seems like a bad dream. I can eat without choking (most of the time). I can eat steak if it's very tender and I'm careful. That's a major step up from Stauffer's macaroni and cheese. I can swallow water! Yeah, sounds easy but water is a challenge because it's a "thin" liquid. If your throat doesn't close off the correct pipe when you swallow there is danger of aspirating liquid into your lungs which can cause pneumonia. My voice is stronger because I gave my vocal chord the rest it needed to heal when I quit working. I'm physically stronger because I'm not exhausted from the demands of a job and a long commute.

Some limitations I have had to accept; some may be temporary. Last year I wanted a drink of water. This year I might eat a hamburger!

No comments: