Friday, March 9, 2007

Sold!


When you downsize from 1800 square feet to 640 things have to go. Choices have to be made. Debbie is a collector so the house resembled a well appointed Cracker Barrel. We both had heirlooms that would need to be redistributed to family members. This was not easy. We faced 20 years worth of joint accumulation. We started by prioritizing.

No matter what, I was taking my artwork. I have a good collection of my oldest brother's work and it was going with me, period. (Check him out at http://www.simmonsart.com/) Anything my dad built for me would come with me. We brought Debbie's antique iron bed. We don't have any idea how old it is but it takes two people to lift the headboard. My computer, an oak bookshelf, and a couple of small tables made the cut.

We were going to have a yard sale but there was too much good stuff so Debbie called an auctioneer. We had to be absolutely certain of what we were selling because once we signed that contract it didn't belong to us anymore. It was weird to see our history spread out on shelves and displayed like what it was, merchandise. Never mind that we'd bought much of it the way we were selling it. It had been ours and now it would belong to someone else.

Auction day I stayed home. I didn't have the guts to watch. I knew once it was gone I wouldn't miss it but I didn't want to watch people loading their trucks with my former possessions.

Minimization suits us. Before I buy anything I have to think, "Where will I put it?" If the answer is "I don't know" I don't buy it, no matter how cute it is. We have our knick knacks, things we're sentimental about, but they aren't the focus. Our windows provide our favorite decoration, a view of the lake.

No comments: