Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ride, Sally, Ride!


I get the biggest kick out of driving visitors through Garvan Gardens in a golf cart. They're all so excited about being there and their attitudes are contagious. And of course, I'm a sucker for an audience. I officially volunteer on Friday mornings but I can't stay away other times. I walk the park on those days, looking for new flowers and interesting things to point out to my cart riding guests. The history of the garden is fascinating and I like to share that. It's a work in progress and I try to keep up with new and future developments. I take my job personally. Visitors pay an $8.00 admission and an additional $6.00 to ride. It's my responsibility to give them their money's worth. Last Friday I must have been a little too convincing. Twice I was offered a $5.00 tip when we got back to the visitor center. While that's gratifying, it's not good manners to accept the tips. Instead I put the money in the donation box. It hurts a little but it must be done.


My favorite group last week was three elderly ladies from New Hampshire. It was -3 degrees at their homes. It was about 68 degrees here. A sweater or windbreaker was all the wrap needed. They were giddy! They giggled and laughed and made jokes the whole time we were out. When I drive guests from other parts of the country I learn about their horticulture and climate. Camellias were a complete marvel to the New Englanders. Apparently they can't survive the New England cold.


The couple from New Mexico told me about alligator pines. The bark looks like alligator hide, hence the name. They also mentioned pinons and a couple other varieties of pine from their state. I didn't realize so many types existed. To me a pine tree is a pine tree.


I'm very excited about what's coming. Every time I'm at the garden the tulips are a little taller. Some of them are budding and a very few have opened. I might have to go every day so I don't miss anything. I want to see 93,000 blooming tulips. It will be splendid!

No comments: