Thursday, February 1, 2007

Teen Angels

Teenagers are the best. They don't get the credit they deserve. When I started chemo in the winter of 2001 kids came out of the woodwork to share their stories and cheer me on. My treatment was a 3 day hospital stay every 3 weeks. They felt more like 3 years every 3 minutes. I'd almost start feeling better when it was time to go do it again. I went to work as much as possible during this for selfish reasons; I needed those kids. They were all so alive and their energy was contagious. I derived strength and determination from just being around them.
Before I stopped wearing my wig the kids made it their business to monitor my appearance. Because the wig was itchy and bothersome I was always digging at it. Of course, that made it crooked or shifted it. It was common for some kid, usually a boy, to say to me, "Stand still, Ms. Simmons. You've knocked your hair crooked." He would then gently tug it back into place and go on about his business.

No comments: