Friday, February 16, 2007

Going to the Wash 'n Go


My condo is too small to accommodate a washer and dryer so I am a weekly regular at the Wash 'n Go. For a shameless people watcher this place is a buffet. Hot Springs is a tourist town and it attracts people of every economic level, nationality, and age.
It also has a major horse racing track and that adds another dimension, the seasonal worker. Trainers, jockeys, hot walkers, horse owners, stable hands, gamblers, and sports writers come to Hot Springs in December and stay through April, when the season ends. This laundromat is across the street from the track so it's the most convenient for track employees who wash more than clothes at the Wash 'n Go. It also accommodates the track workers by designating washers and dryers for their needs. The dryers on the end are labelled "Track workers only" and there are special washers and dryers labeled "Horse blankets only." Horse blankets can create plumbing problems because horse hair, hay, and dirt clog the drains so its a bad idea to wash them in a regular machine.
I was influenced by Cheaper by the Dozen, so I challenge myself to streamline my laundromat experience when I can. I had traditional, clumsy laundry baskets so I searched online until I found hampers with wheels and a handle so I can pull them instead of carry them and I ordered 2. I keep a supply of quarters in a little red bag. My detergent stays in the car. And most importantly, I travel with what my family calls "an anti-boredom kit." It only takes me 90 minutes to do 4 loads but I don't just sit and stare at the wall. I always have a crossword puzzle book, a novel, sometimes a crochet project, and snacks. Add any of these activities to watching the colorful people already there and my 90 minutes fly. And this is the best part, Sonic is next door! Anything is bearable with ice cream.

No comments: