Thursday, February 22, 2007

YMCA

In an effort toward self improvement I joined the YMCA. I hate the kind of exercise that requires machines or repetitions but I enjoy the group classes so I go to yoga twice a week. I went to pilates once but the next day I could barely walk. That's a little more hard core than I want. I'm looking for stretch and balance and an overall feeling of well being; contemplative exercise, not sweaty exercise.

I also must consider the physical limitations created by various cancer treatments. Because of the muscle I lost in my neck on the left side I can't move my left arm in certain directions. I can raise it above my head and I can raise it to the back but certain sideways maneuvers are impossible. I learned that if I'm on my stomach with my arms stretched out in front of me I can't raise my left arm at all. That felt wierd. My brain said, "Lift!" but my arm ignored the command. Imagine having your whole body in that condition! The other thing is the neuropathy in my feet and hands. That was caused by 18 months of chemo. My hands and feet tingle like they are asleep. I almost fell on my head trying to do a tree pose because it's hard to stand on one foot if you can't feel the foot you're standing on. So I did what I had to do, I cheated. I put my hand on the wall and held myself up. Eventually I'll wean myself from the wall and do it the right way.

No comments: