Thursday, January 25, 2007

A long and winding road

Like a long and winding road my cancer journey has mile markers.

  1. April 1984 - removal of a primary tumor in a salivary gland on the left side of my neck and subsequent radiation therapy
  2. September 1996 - a radical neck dissection to remove a large tumor from the left side of my neck. This involved the removal of my left jugular vein, my sternocleidomastoid muscle, and a nerve graft so I wouldn't lose the use of my left arm.
  3. February 1997 - the removal of a small tumor in a salivary gland on the right side of my neck.
  4. January 2001 to May 2002 - chemotherapy to try and eradicate the tumor embedded in the muscle of my left cheek and the two tumors in my soft palate.
  5. June 2002 - surgery to remove the above mentioned tumors because they weren't remotely impressed with any of the chemo drugs.
  6. June 2005 - surgery to remove my left jawbone and the tumor that had infected it.
  7. January 2006 - removal of a lymph gland on the right side of my neck
  8. February 2006 - removal of a small tumor on my larynx
  9. March 2006 - throat dilation to try and correct some of the damage that all the above surgeries had done to my throat
  10. July 2006 - quit working, moved to the lake, bought a Sea-Doo water craft and I haven't been sick since (knock on wood)

Conclusion: Work is hazardous to my health.

No comments: