Thursday, May 3, 2007

Who will be the next American Idol?


My name is Barbara and I watch American Idol. I denied it for awhile. It seemed like such a cliche. America watches, and all that. I resisted season after season, then Jennifer Hudson happened. Maybe I should see for myself instead of turning my nose up at the hype and publicity. After all, I liked Ted Mack's Amateur Hour when I was a little kid. Maybe American Idol is a reinvention of that.

I survived the horrible weeks of culling through thousands of America's untalented and disillusioned singers. My horror came, not from cruel comments by the infamous Simon Cowell, but from parents and loved ones who allowed their children to set themselves up for public humiliation on national television. To quote Dr. Phil, "What were they thinking?"

All of that is behind us now and we're almost to the finish line. Last night two singers were voted off and now there are four. Of course, I was voting like mad to save my personal favorite, a young man named Blake who probably annoyed and charmed every teacher he ever had. America agreed with me and he'll advance to next week's show. So far, Blake has been able to do everything they've thrown at him, from Tony Bennett to Bon Jovi. Not only can he sing the songs, he can make them his own. Okay, I'm starstruck. He has a style that really appeals to me.

What is clear to me is that Simon Cowell's critique is the only one the contestants take seriously. They listen politely to Randy and Paula, then turn their bodies toward Simon for the coup d'grace. It's human nature. Which teacher made the biggest impression on you? Which friend do you go to when you REALLY need to hear the truth? That's right. We instinctively gravitate to the person who holds us to the highest standard, even if it's painful. Simon Cowell isn't mean, he's brutally honest. When he says you nailed the song, you nailed it! Those kids reach higher and farther every week. I feel like I'm witnessing evolution. In the beginning these last six had potential but no polish or confidence. The heavy ones have lost weight, the bad outfits have been replaced with style, bad hair has been styled to flatter their faces. It won't matter who actually wins. They've all got star quality and with the exposure they've had and the contacts they've made, they'll be launched into the entertainment arena. It's fun to watch dreams come true so I'll be in front of my TV on Tuesday evenings until we know "who will be be the next American Idol!"

No comments: