Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Conspiracy theory

During fits of paranoia, I'm convinced that there is a cure for cancer but for reasons known only to it, our government is withholding the information. Think about it, cancer is big business for insurance companies, hospitals, and countless merchandising enterprises. Without breast cancer, how would they unload all those pink ballcaps? Cancer kills enough people every year to make it an effective population decreaser. And its targets are random. We're all affected. No one group can cry foul because cancer is an equal opportunity agent.

I figure insurance companies have the most to lose if cancer becomes curable. I pay over $500.00 a month for health insurance and then have to fight with them about what is covered at any given time. I've been working on getting a PET scan payed for since March 2006. Dollar value? $3,633.00 Peace of mind? Priceless to me, so if I have to pay it, I will.

PET stands for positive emission tomography and it is a nuclear medicine medical imaging technique that produces a three dimensional image or map of functional processes in the body. It detects changes within certain tissues or organs early, often before disease progresses and is important in determining neurological conditions, heart disease, and the spread of cancer. How about that for an idea?!

In a sane world insurance companies would require these scans. I think, in the long run, they'd save money and lives. In the last 11 years I have cost Blue Cross thousands of dollars but I have paid their premium every month since I was 23 years old. That's 33 years and I'm just one person! Do the math. They're still ahead.

No comments: