Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The good life


I've been retired since July 17, 2006 and my life is a whirlwind. It took me a little while to get the hang of it but I've discovered the secret to adapting to freedom. Leisure time isn't leisurely. This might be an arguable point to an average working stiff so I'll explain what I mean.




I'm the half of the couple who lives without time constraints so any errands or mundane chores are mine. Going to the post office, making beds, errands to the court house or marina, they fall to me. I regularly go to Benton to visit Mom and Dad, and there's my volunteer work at Garvan Woodland Gardens. Between these duties I must squeeze in reading novels, working crossword puzzles, trying out new crochet patterns, and discussing world events or literature with Buddy over an Amber Bock. All of the above activities are done on my porch with its incredible view of the lake. Now that it's summer I have the added responsibility of riding my Sea-Doo around the lake, checking out the new construction and exploring coves and inlets.



What's my point? No one's life is ideal but right now, in this moment in time, mine is pretty darn close to it. I don't take these blessings for granted. My parents are alive and lively; a joy to visit with and a weekly highlight for me. The beautiful gardens give me a sense of usefullness and a like minded group of people to interact with on a regular basis. Novels and crossword puzzles were guilty pleasures to be indulged in when the work was done. The same thing with crocheting. Now I can do any or all of them whenever I feel like it. Living close enough to my big brother to share a beer and regularly enjoy one another's company is worth more than I can express.



Over the years Debbie and I discussed and dreamed of the life we have now. We hadn't figured on cancer being our catalyst but it has been. I guess I can call cancer a backwards blessing. If I hadn't gotten sick we might still be slogging through a daily grind, losing sight of what matters. Cancer forced us to assess our priorities and make major life changing decisions. I never expected boats, docks, marinas, windy conditions, and Bass Pro Shop to figure so prominently in our daily lives. We are lucky women and we know it.

1 comment:

Janet said...

What a great picture of you and Deb! I am glad you are enjoying yourself. I am still using my "training wheels" falling on and off this new plateau. Most of the time I just don't get it. I have been through much more difficult times in my life. My only consolation is that I know that it's the hard times that one learns from and that they do in fact make you stronger. So I will continue to persevere,fighting the days when I want to simply not participate in life. Time is such a precious commodity, I strive to use it wisely.