Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Have phone will travel

I resent being subjected to private phone conversations in public places. I know I'm not alone in my opinion. Cell phones are an incredible convenience and I love mine as much as the next guy but I try not to let it dominate my life. If my phone rings when I'm at Kroger I ignore it. When I get outside I'll check the caller ID and, depending on who called, I'll return the call when I'm not in a public place. Remember when you didn't know you'd had a phone call until you got home? Remember a time before answering machines when you didn't know you'd had a call while you were out until that person called back? I don't want to make a shift backwards, I just want some sort of cell phone protocol or etiquette to be established.
I have heard the stupidest and most meaningless conversations in Wal-Mart. If you want to visit, bring your friend to the store with you. Don't stand in the check-out line discussing the results of your colonoscopy with a person invisible to the rest of us.
The rudest behavior is exhibited by those who wear those blue tooth things in their ears. They walk the aisles, their hands free, shopping and talking. Until you see the little blue light blinking in their ear you think they're lunatics or schizophrenics, listening to the voices in their heads. What can't wait until you're in your car or outside? If your colonscopy shows signs of disease, I'm sorry. I can be sympathetic but I don't want to hear the gory details or the fear in your voice. I have plenty of that without worrying about you. If the call alerts you of an emergency, hang up and go. You probably don't have time to finish your errands anyway.
As the technology has developed most of us have agreed on certain places where cell phone use is prohibited. We turn our phones off in church services, movie theaters, and business meetings. My county library doesn't allow phone conversations inside but it's more the exception than the rule. It shouldn't even be up for discussion but it's a hot topic in the library world. You wouldn't think of having a loud conversation with an individual so what makes a phone conversation okay? After I had retired from my post as a branch library manager in another county, two men threatened one another with guns over a cell phone conversation. The men were sitting side by side at the public computers when one of them got a call. The one man asked the phone talker to hang up or take it outside and the fight was on. The library staff had to call 911 because the men left the building shouting at one another and making violent threats. The police came and the report was made but the men weren't found. I didn't read anywhere about a library shoot out but they could have taken the fight somewhere else. This example of "phone rage" might be extreme but it's real.
The solution is simple really. Use some common sense and be courteous. You aren't invisible or sound free so don't act like you're the only human on the planet. Regardless of the commercials, none of us are so important that we require constant connection to our "networks."

No comments: