Monday, September 15, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

All of us think we have the great American novel in us and who knows? We each might. I just knew that when I retired I’d be the one, but alas, it takes discipline. While the beautiful paragraphs swirl around in my head I play spider solitaire or some other mindless computer game. I have a bit of a problem in that area. I love those games, especially the ones that involve words. I’ve really been done in now because I can play Scrabble and a game called Qwerty. Look at the top row of your keyboard and there it is, “QWERTY.” I can play these two games against human opponents who obviously have the same addiction. The way I justify this little addiction is by listening to audio books. In my mind, if I’m listening to a novel while I click away at my games I’m not wasting time. Why I even care is another problem. It’s my time. I’m not neglecting anyone. I don’t forget to shower or wash the dishes. I buy the groceries and cook supper. So, why does this innocent activity make me feel guilty? Because I’m programmed to accomplish something on a daily basis and winning another badge in Tumble Bees doesn’t quite hit the mark. Neither does beating a woman in Montana at Scrabble but I get a kick out of it. Is the fact that I enjoy these games justification enough? Maybe yes, maybe no. What if I’m depriving the country of another great story, a novel of epic proportions? That remains to be seen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi enjoyed reading your blog. Im scott we met at allens funeral.
I'm a friend of charlotte and genie. If you dont mind sending me your pogo acct name maybe we can play scrabble sometime. oh if you dont add the banana to your drink it will be easier to eat more. I lost weight the same way u did.